Friday 10 June 2011

Media Burn-Out

I suspect this is a generational issue: I feel guilty for ignoring so much information and media types. When I grew up, info came at me at a digestable pace. The current deluge (exponentially larger when one dips into social media) causes me to panic. I'd like to be able to keep up, but there's no way to do so. I keep thinking that I'm missing out on important key information and I should be able to keep up: someone will be offended that I haven't responded fast enough, that I didn't read their blog or comment all the way through. I'm used to being thorough. I'm used to concentrating on one thing in-depth at a time.

I wonder if the 20 somethings and 30 somethings don't mind the deluge.  How do they deal with the fact that they may only be getting some of the information and not the most important information? 

There is also the issue of depth vs. surface skimming.  Which is better? Must we all become surface skimmers to survive the onslaught of information? I'm more a slow and in-depth type.  Am I doomed to information burn out and social media panic (with the upshot being that I retreat back into my turtle shell of the unplugged offwork time)? 

How do others deal with the tidal wave and accept continuous barrages of information with perhaps missing something important?

No comments:

Post a Comment